Blotter 5/3: Jar of jelly beans stolen from volunteer table

Jellybeans stolen from Relay for Life sidewalk fundraiser

Police received a walk-in report Sunday regarding a stolen jar of jellybeans, Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

The person reported that she was fundraising for Relay for Life on the sidewalk on the 1700 block of Sherman Avenue by having people guess how many jellybeans were in a jar. While she was working, five or six boys filled out cards with names and email addresses. Afterward, one grabbed the jar of jellybeans off the table and ran away with it, Guenther said.

The police have yet to determine if the information provided on the cards is factual.

Suspicious man follows NU staff member in Engelhart parking lot

Officers received a report of a suspicious person in Engelhart Hall parking lot who followed a University staff member on her way to her office on University Place around 8:30 a.m. Monday.

The staff member said she felt like she was being followed when she turned to look behind her in the parking lot and observed an unknown male walking about 25 feet behind her, University Police Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. She then spontaneously changed her direction of travel, and he continued to follow her.

When she reached University Place and a student pedestrian passed by her, she turned again to find the subject was gone.

UP checked the area in question for the subject but were not able to locate him.

The staff member described the suspicious person as a white male in his mid-30s with salt-and-pepper hair, a white T-shirt, a black jogging suit and a black beret.

Trespasser at Jacobs Center linked to April theft at Frances Searle Hall

Police responded to Donald P. Jacobs Center, 2001 Sheridan Road, at 8:44 a.m. Monday in reference to a trespasser.

A staff worker was sitting at her desk when she observed a man entering a dark conference room, McAleer said. She asked if she could assist him. He stated he did not need assistance and left the area. The staff worker felt suspicious and contacted UP.

She described the suspicious person as a black male with short hair, wearing a red, black and grey leather jacket and blue jeans, and carrying a black shoulder bag.

Officers responding to the complaint observed a man matching the subject’s description walking up from the basement level of Jacobs Center. They confronted the subject, who then produced an Illinois ID card, identifying himself as Randall Maurice Taylor from the 1400 block of South Canal Street in Chicago, McAleer said. Taylor claimed a Kellogg student named Darrell Tanner was supposed to meet him at Jacobs Center.

Further inquiry revealed there was no one by that name at the University.

Taylor was arrested for trespassing Monday but then released later the same day. As he was being released, an employee at the police department observed him and informed officers that he matched the description of an offender involved in an incident that occurred in Frances Searle Hall on April 21.

Officers then made contact with Taylor on the street and took him into custody for further investigation.

Taylor then told officers that he walked into Frances Searle on April 21 attempting to make contact with an attractive woman. Once inside, he couldn’t find the woman. However, he entered two empty offices and removed a total of $110 from unattended women’s wallets.

He also stated he had been inside other NU buildings within the last two weeks.

Combe Tennis Center bathroom stripped of plumbing fixtures

Police responded to the Combe Tennis Center, 2311 Campus Drive, Monday in reference to stolen bathroom plumbing fixtures, McAleer said.

Athletic facilities representatives said both male and female bathrooms were locked and secured Nov. 13 upon completion of an NU vs. Iowa football game. When he entered the facilities Monday, he discovered that pipes, faucet fixtures, knobs and handles from stalls had been taken.

The representative advised officers that the missing parts were worth about $100 from a scrap metal supplier. Officers took photos of the scene and referred the case to the detective bureau.