Blotter 4/26: Tracking application leads police to general location of stolen iPhone 4G

Armed robber ties up jewelry store clerk, loots display cases

Evanston Police responded to Diadem Jewelers, 1613 Sherman Road, in reference to an armed robbery at approximately 11:15 p.m Tuesday.

Police then spoke with the victim, an employee of Diadem Jewelers who had been managing the store at the time of the robbery, Commander Tom Guenther wrote in a press release.

The victim recalled that the offender entered the store, displayed a handgun and announced the robbery. The offender then bound the victim’s hands with flexible plastic bindings and took jewelry from display cases.

Afterward, the offender fled the store on foot via the back door. A pedestrian who looked into the store a short while after the robbery occurred noticed the bound victim and notified police.

The victim described the offender as a black male, aged 30, 250 lbs, 6’0″ in height. He was wearing a baseball cap, sunglasses, a black leather coat, dark jeans and dark gym shoes.

Tracking application leads police to general location of stolen iPhone 4G

At around 8 p.m. Monday, officers responded to the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center in reference to a theft that occurred there. The victim, an NU student, told police that his iPhone 4G had been stolen.

The student left his phone in a sweatshirt in the corner of the court while he played basketball for about an hour, University Police Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. When the student returned to the sweatshirt, he realized the phone was gone. He stated that he did not observe any suspicious people.

The student told police there was a tracking application on his iPhone which allowed him to display the location of the phone from his computer, McAleer said. The computer indicated that at 8:20 p.m. the night of the theft, the phone had been taken to a location in Chicago.

Because the coordinates provided by the tracking application were not specific enough, McAleer said police may not be able to pinpoint the exact location of the stolen phone. However, police will follow up on the case.

Inebriated underage drinker passes out in front of the Keg

At 4:45 a.m. Sunday, officers heard radio traffic from Evanston Police radio requesting an ambulance for a female student who had passed out on the sidewalk in front of the Keg of Evanston, 810 Grove St.

Officers observed a large amount of vomit on the ground beside her as well as a strong odor of alcohol emanating from her person. Although police attempted to ascertain what the student had been drinking, she was not able to provide any information. The student had been consuming alcohol illegally as a minor, McAleer said.

The student was transported to the Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., for further treatment that night. She has been referred to Student Affairs.