Dorm boards plan fund-raiser to benefit 12 displaced by fire

The Residence Hall Association and Residential College Boardwill sponsor a fund-raising event May 15 to benefit the studentswho lost their belongings in a fire that destroyed an off-campusapartment building two weeks ago.

Twelve students were displaced after a blaze completely burnedout the third floor of the house at 718-720 Foster St. on April 15.Division Chief Alan Berkowsky of the Evanston fire departmentestimated damages to the apartment at $100,000. Berkowsky said lastweek that the fire might have started in a trash can at 720 Fosterand possibly was spread by high gusts of wind.

The event will be held in Norris University Center’s Louis Roomfrom 7 to 9 p.m. Tickets will cost $5 and will be sold at the door– with a yet-to-be-determined portion of the proceeds goingdirectly to the 12 students.

The event, “Students Helping Students,” will featureperformances from various student groups. A raffle of items fromEvanston businesses also will take place, said RHA PresidentJulianne Kuck. She added that although no groups have beenconfirmed to perform, she expects a large communityresponse.�

“We’re really hoping this is an event that can bring the entirecampus together,” Kuck said.

RHA and RCB are currently seeking cash contributions from campusgroups and dorm governments to assist the displaced students. Theboards also are encouraging donations of more specific items –such as clothing and toiletries — to go directly to thestudents.

Shane Carlin, an area coordinator for University ResidentialLife who was at the scene of the fire to help students, said heapproached RHA members at an executive board meeting last week andreceived an enthusiastic response.�

Colleen Fischer, RCB’s vice president for public relations and aMedill sophomore, said the event could help the students get backon their feet.

Said Fischer, “It’s important to show our solidarity with therest of the student body and to show we’re not apathetic when facedwith a (tragedy).”